Friday, June 17, 2011

Fan Outcry Friday


After an outcry from my followers I am debating whether or not to continue with my original plan of SciFri. While I thought that it was a catchy theme for Fridays I was informed that it was "played out" by NPR Science Fridays.

And here I was, thinking I was catchy and hip...

I've made the executive decisions to let the follows decide what I should write about on Fridays. I will take suggestions and if I don't receive any good suggestions then I will pick a topic at random to expound upon.

I'm the decider!

Now... for the post.

It was recently announce that researchers have developed an HIV-prevention gel that not only decreases transmission of the disease by 39% but also heightens sexual pleasure.

Now you're thinking:  "Oh God! First real post and she going for this scandalous media filler story?!" But consider the following...

What if this gel were to get FDA approval, received the right marketing and become a smashing success? The consumer is not only protecting themselves from contracting HIV (not sexy) but also increasing his or her own enjoyment (very sexy)!

For the most part, people are (for whatever reason) highly unmotivated to do things that are good for themselves. People don't eat right, they smoke, do drugs, binge, purge... you name it. So how what  scientifically-aided or psychological tricks can we come up with to get people to do the right thing?

I have no problem tricking people into doing what is best for them but what are the best ways to do so? Crispin Porter + Bogusky, the advertising agency currently working with Bolthouse Farms are currently seeking to change of baby carrots with a new campaign.

Have you seen this type of psychological jiggering work? Do you think it could work to cultivate other good habits? Drop me a line and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment